Anziano Day in Vicenza

Anziano Day in Vicenza

Friday, January 4, 2013

About people that live in Reggio Emilia

Snail Mail received January 4th 2012

Dear Father,
Thank you so much for writing me, I really appreciate it, and I love you so much.  I am glad you liked the John story.  So amazing.  He was baptized.  It all happened because of fasting, because of God's miracles  That's so cool.

I wanted  to give you the ethnic breakdown of Reggio Emilia's immigrants.  FIrst, there are many many Chinese people here.  Most that we have met speak little to no Italian, and there is a huge Chinese population near our train station.

Next is the African peoples.  Most are from Nigeria and everyone we have met from Nigeria is Christian.  Nigeria is kind of like the Hollywood/music scene of Africa, I hear.  One more thing, in Nigeria they have over 100 languages that they speak there.  Every time we ask someone Nigerian what other languages they speak, they always say. "There are many languages in Nigeria",  They never say which though.  There is a huge Mormon church presence in Benin City, Nigeria.  People there know us as "Latter Day" Ha ha.

The Second most is -people from Ghana.  They speak Twi but most speak English very well.  People from Ghana are always Christian, same in Nigeria, and there are many "Super Churches" in those countries.  Fufu is from Ghana as well.  I spoke with Fratello Danzo (from Ghana) in the Bishopric (leadership in the congregation) and he told me that Twi is a very simple language, it doesn't have very many adjectives and it is more direct that way.

There are also many Africans from Northeastern parts of Africa such as Senegal and Algeria, they are all Muslims though (we do not actively teach Muslims because they are at risk of being harmed by their families if they convert to Christianity).


Also there are many people here from Albania and Romania that we run into and then TONS of people from Morocco.  The second most Muslim country here is Pakistan and they speak Urdu.
Tree in Parco dell Populo, Reggio Emilia 

There are others that we have contacted (Georgian, Ivory Coast, Russians and Ukrainians).  The old people from these countries always hang out at the park we have here (Parco del Popolo).  Anyway I thought that you would be interesting for you.  I know how much you like this stuff!



Love, Anziano Day

No comments:

Post a Comment