This week we had the amazing opportunity to go to the Sacro Monte di Varallo (sacred mountain of Varallo). We have officially obtained a car to use in our work, but only for places where we have to drive long distances.
 |
| I'm Driving! |
 |
| Here are some pictures of me driving, and the first initial picture I got as we exited the car to go up the mountain. |
 |
| Going up to Sacro Monte di Varallo |
Sacro Monte di Varillo was built between 1491 and 1765, begun by a man who visited Palestine and Jerusalem and wanted to replicate the scenes of Jesus Christ's life. So he commissioned many statues of terracotta as well as paintings. All of the images of Jesus Christ's life are life sized.
It's a marvelous thing. I feel like I got a better appreciation for the life of Jesus Christ because of it.
 |
| This first scene is of Satan tempting Jesus Christ |
 |
| Here is the woman at the well |
 |
| Peters repentance(notice the cock in the upper right hand corner) |
 |
| The trial of King Herod (the midget man with a beast is an interesting addition to that scene) |
 |
| Jesus Christ being spit upon |
This last image is really powerful. Im amazed what they did back in the 1600s with all these statues. They have over 700 throughout the Sacro Monte if I remember correctly.
 |
| Here is the last supper (one of the most famous ones here) |
 |
| Jesus Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane |
 |
| The angel is bringing the 'bitter cup' to Jesus Christ |
 |
| Here is a picture of me on the Sacro Monte with a view of the valley |
 |
| Valley View from Sacro Monte |
 |
| Sacro Monte hike |
 |
The very top of the mountain Sacro Monte
|
So we finished looking at all of the different scenes from Jesus Christs life ( there were over 40 of them) and we decided to hike up a trail that seemingly popped up in front of us. We hiked all the way up to the three crosses which are at the very top of the hill. It was an extremely exhausting hike but rewarding to see the amazing view of the valley. I was so tired at the end of the hike I only took a picture of the three crosses and not the view... but on the way up there are some good shots.
 |
Basilica of Sacro Monte
Note from Mom: The basilica of Sacro Monte in the background was completed in 1649 with the present facade completed in 1896.
|
 |
| Drink up! |
 |
| Here is a public drinking fountain... |
 |
They have a lot of wells and water fountains that are constantly running all over Italy, especially in parks. Its all potable water.
WOW ward boundries realignment... That's some pretty crazy stuff thats going on there. Must be inspired! I did get both letters yay! So now you can send me mail.
I am super excited for general conference (this weekend on KBYU) , I am trying to finish studying and highlighting all the talks from last conference so that I will be ready for the next one.
I think I found a member who knows the person aunt judy is related to that served here. Im not sure though.
I love you so much!
Anziano Day
Historical note from mom
"at the end of the 15th century, when the Franciscan friar Bernardino Caimi di Milano, on his return from the Holy Land, where he had been the guardian of the Holy Sepulchre, decided to reproduce the holy places of Palestine in Valsesia. The “New Jerusalem” as the Sacred Mount was called, initially was meant to reproduce the distant sites of the Christian tradition for all those who would never be able to go there. Inside these places, there were images, paintings and sculptures that evoked the corresponding events of the story of the life of Christ.
Already in the early 16th century, thanks to the work of the painter, sculptor and architect Gaudenzio Ferrari, the scenes inside the chapels were presented in a genial and innovative merging of painting, and sculptures with strong realism, so that the devout could feel strongly involved, almost part of the spectacle presented. Gaudenzio Ferrari’s work would be taken as a model for the construction of many other Sacred Mounts. " from sacrimonti.net |
No comments:
Post a Comment