This week I was able to visit Slovenia. I went and did an exchange (transferred companions) in a city called Gorizia (Gorica in Slovene), which is a city that is half in Italy and half in Slovenia. It was funny because we were biking to find a less active member at about 7 or 8pm and we visited the Slovenia side of Gorizia (Nova Gorica). In Slovenia there were tons of people walking around on roller blades, walking dogs, and doing other things. When we got back over the river to the Italy side of the same city, there was no one in the streets. Gorizia- Italian side goes to bed early I suppose haha.
I was able to scambio (Exchange) with Anziano Johnson who is one transfer behind me (entered the mission 6 weeks after me) in the mission and was with me in the MTC (mission training center). He was also companions with Anziano Locklear in the MTC (a former companion of mine). Anziano Johnson is great because he is super talkative and very witty all the time. He would be talking to people on the streets and everywhere all over the place it was hard to keep up with him. So much fun.
Its so very beautiful there, it has a beautiful blue-green (glacial) sparkling river and classic Italian architecture and houses.
(Ok, This is Mom-- Ryan did not send this picture, but it is the glacial river Soca as it comes from the Alps into Gorizia and splits the Italian side with the Slovenian side. )
Some people we are teaching... one is named Sergio and we were really excited to meet with him because he is a direct from mormon.org referall. He contacted the website and then we contacted him.
Also with Anziano Johnson we found 4-5 new people to teach in one day it was CRAZY. One reason I think was because we are both pretty good in the language by now, and when we taught we were really good at trading of seamlessly and I saw the power of the testimony of two people in people. People were sincerely touched when we both testified of truth.
I also feel really great as a district leader. It really helps me stay focused being an effective missionary and being an example for everyone.
I just heard today of how hot it's getting in the United States! (I visited Venice today for Pday and we met some Americans.)
Venice
The work in Trieste is going great, we are being blessed with lots of investigators and teaching opportunities. I learn every day how to be a better missionary, as long as I depend on the Lord. And my Italian is really, really good now. I can express myself in the way I want and can read Italian books (Just started on my heritage in Italian and it's a breeze) The Lord has helped me so much. But I can still improve!
Anziano Taylor said that his mom and you connected and I thought, "classic mom" apparently his mom is like that too. I hope you are not too impatient but next week I have 10 or 20 pictures to send. Most of them landscape and beautiful places in Italy, much more beautiful than my face, of course. There will be a lot more next week!
I hope the family is doing well its so cool that both sides of our families both get along really well and don't have any serious problems, that really doesn't happen a lot. Man, it seems like I'm missing out on all the great family reunions! How great is it that we had all of those.
I hope to hear more from you soon,
Anyways. Its getting late so I must go.
Love Anziano Day
PS Anziano Johnson and I tried to call our outgoing mission president, President Wolfgramm when he left on July 1 but instead we called president Dibb and introduced ourselves. I'll meet him next Thursday.
Note from mom: (Gorizia (Gorica) means "little hill" in Slovene. In 1945, Gorizia was annexed into Italy and a Yugoslavian neighboring city Nova Gorica developed across the river (later Slovanian). Since 2011 the (now) three neighboring towns operate under a trans-boarder metropolitan zone. It is a popular local resort because of its mild climate and Slovenian casinos.)



No comments:
Post a Comment