Anziano Day in Vicenza

Anziano Day in Vicenza

Thursday, March 14, 2013

A series of misfortunate events and other great things.


I am doing email today (Thursday)  instead of yesterday (Wednesday) because yesterday was hands down worst day in the misson field. Not because of how I felt, but because of all the extremely unfortunate events that happened. It was comical looking back at the end of the day. I will give a play by play on what happened.

So. First it started out like a normal Pday (preparation day). And we had a great idea, which was to go visit Anziano Anderson in our district in La Spezia, because he is going home in a week. Little did we know where this idea would take us. 

La Spezia
First, we biked to the station, and missed the train by two minutes, so we had to wait an hour in order to get to La Spezia. So we got there a bit late, no big deal and we started walking around until Anziano Chipman and Anderson found us and we ate lunch. After we wanted to go to the chinese store, but we realized that all the stores were closed because it was lunchtime (All stores close from about 1230 to 330 here in Italy). So that wasnt too bad either we just hung out at their apartment until 330, and we started heading out. 


But, before we went all the way downstairs in the elevator, the doors of the elevator suddenly caved into 


the elevator and all four of us were stuck in tight quarters. We called the elevator line and the guy came about 15 minutes later. We stayed there another 15 minutes while the guy figured out how to get us out of there and while that happened a crazy old lady started yelling at us about how we had to pay for the elevator and everything. She was pretty crazy. But we made it out okay and alive, a little bit scared but the man let us go so then we had a 420 train to catch, which we missed. 
More of La Spezia where we were stuck in an elevator...


Documenting our train we finally caught in the amazing day of misfortune

So we waited 45 minutes for the next train, and it came. But when the train got into Pisa, we had to get off and go on another train. Our first train was late, so, we missed the transfer train and had to wait 30 minutes. I bought a postcard at the last second and so right when we tried to catch the train, we missed it. We were sad, and right when the train started to pull away, some ragazzi (young 'uns) threw water out the window at us and shouted Pioggia! (rain). Luckily it was only water. So we waited another thirty minutes until we got back on the train. (that is three missed trains and stuck in an elevator and water poured on us..) By this time I was laughing the whole train ride because of how unfortunately bad our day was. I couldnt believe it.  But it was not over yet...

More Terrazza photos and a photo of me and Anziano Locklear in the Rotunda of the Terrazza. The graffitti isnt too pretty. Oh well.

Here are photos of the beautiful plaza and ocean in Livorno




(I love this photo of  the woman with the pink umbrella!) 







 Little did we know that after having water dumped on us at the train station, We got back and went straight to church to consiglio (meeting with all the ward leaders) and eventually realized that there is a water shortage in Livorno, and no one had water, including us. So we got water at a members house and went straight home without being able to email on our regular day to email. That was probably the worst day ever! But it was pretty funny how unfortunate things went. 

Also we will probably go to the leaning tower of Pisa next transfer, because my companion was sick of visiting Pisa, we go there every week for district meeting and he went for like 4 or 5 pdays as he has been here, so he is just sick of all the asian tourists and everything else. Hopefully we will soon.


I have not recieved any other packages yet.. I hope soon! That is really amazing that Ali and another friend spoke in stake conference and John Yoo.. I wonder what he thinks about all that haha. 

We had a good week this week except that we have no water! I had to take a water bottle shower this morning it was really interesting to say the least.. My shower was cold, and then my companion heated up some water on the stove and had an uncomfortably warm shower. All in all, we are still getting used to it. 

All the stuff that happening seems really cool, the average stuff is the fun stuff! 

Im glad Jeremy still has tons of friend get together breakfasts and other things like that. Anyways so besides yesterday there were two things that happened this week that were really cool. 

Some missionaries in our district visiting the Plaza
One was we were able to go to Zone meeting on Monday with President Wolfgramm there and we also had an Italian couple from Torino serving in our mission! They have been members for over 40 years and both only speak Italian (no English). So exciting! We went there and discovered we were the only copia (companionship) to have a baptism this transfer. Just goes to show how hard missionary work is in the winter. I wouldn't want to be a missionary in Russia this time of year, although I'm sure its beautiful..

The other thing was today, when we were about to eat lunch at 2 o'clock, we got a frantic call from a member in our ward telling us that we need to give  her relative a blessing because he was sta per morire (about to die) so we took our pizza out of the oven and jammed out of the house on our bikes it was crazy. Then we ran nearly all the way around the hospital because we couldn't find the place where her cousin was until we got there, and a fratello from the church came and met us there. We were able to go in and give him a blessing. He is in a coma still, and is 25 and has a little kid. We hope he survives. It is a miracle that he is alive now because he had something happen in his brain that made him go into a coma. 

It made me realize that our day yesterday wasn't so bad, and I was really glad I was able to use the priesthood to help someone. It was a really neat experience. Well those are the exciting things that happened this week, we are hoping to be able to find some more people to teach this week, and my time with Anziano Locklear might come to a close.. I cant believe how fast time has flew this last month and a half I have been in Livorno, but it has flown. I will probably stay here another three months, but it is likely that Anziano Locklear will leave. I will miss my southern half native american companion if he does leave. Thats about all for this week! 

This church is true and it blesses my life so much!

Ciao Ciao a doppo

Ryan Day
Food Report: 
In other news here is a picture of a lasagna I made

1 comment: