Anziano Day in Vicenza

Anziano Day in Vicenza

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

arrival in Reggio Emillia



haha This is awesome I am glad I can email you guys. Yeah Im sad that you werent home to talk to me ! oh well Christmas isnt too far away anyways. 

By the way sorry this letter is going to have no apostrophes because the keyboard that I am using right now has some weird french and italian apostrophe letters instead of the normal keys. Pretty cool. 

I am indeed in Reggio Emillia right now, arguably the food capital of Italy or so I hear. It is super diverse here, I really love it. We keep about 3 or 4 different languages of the Book of Mormon on hand at all times, and I approximate we have probably given them out in about 8 languages so far. It totally makes sense now why to learn a second language I never understood it before. 

This was really illustrated because on the train one time we met someone who only spoke French and Spanish, and Anziano Fiorentino speaks a bit of French and I speak a bit of Spanish so we taught him about the Book of Mormon on that train. So epic. 

Speaking of Anziano Fiorentino, My new companion is Anziano Fiorentino. He is really awesome and just a nice and well likeable guy from Miami Florida. He is half Italian, and his Grandparents emigrated from Egypt after Mussolini and stuff. Anziano Fiorentino is an amazing cook and knows how to cook tons of Italian and Egyptian dishes. It is absolutely amazing. I am very glad he is helping me train and stuff it is hard to speak Italian with people, but Im really good at understanding what people are saying without knowing what they say. If you know what im saying. 

It is true people really talk ridiculously fast here, we were taking this man named Roberto to church on the train and he talks insanely fast. Anziano Fiorentino started talking to a stranger on the train and left me to fend for myself, and so for a full fifteen minutes Roberto chattered faster than I have every heard anyone talk in my life. I understood only a bit of it.

Food. The food is amazing. It is indescribably amazing, unlike anything I have ever tasted before. Wow I absolutely love it. When we first got here I was able to go and eat at the mission presidents home I had lasagna there and I just could not believe how good it was. Everything is like that here. I am pretty much as happy as I can be.

I especially love teaching the diverse types of people here, we taught an Italian Architect as well as a man from the Dominican Republic named Pablo, to many other different peoples. Everyone is so different but the one thing in common is that everyone wants to come closer to God. It really is great to see people change their lives and be happier Im excited to see more of that.

Lets see to answer the questions Mother sent me...
The most surprising thing... well everything is such a surprise to me that I just have to go with the flow. We use public transportation a ton but we just fixed our bikes up so we will probably use those more. We see a ton of diverse types of people on the buses.

My typical day, I wake up, get ready, study for 1 or 2 hours, head out the door and proselyte usually contacting people on the street and bus, and also teaching a lot. Then Lunch we have from 1 to 3 for two hours one hour for lunch and one hour for language study, we eat a giant delicious lunch and then study. We dont really have dinner in Italy. Everything closes from 12 to 3 ish anyways because everyone eats then. Then we teach and find people that are interested in our message some more until 9 when we go in plan for the next day and repeat. It is a very rewarding life. We have some fun stuff throughout the week also I will have to tell you about that another time.

Thats really awesome Jack Eld got to watch conference, Camille went to a goth rock concert
(oh goodness) and everything else. 

Well I hope I didnt say too much this week I hope I have some stuff to write for next week. I will a lot haha.

Ryan Day

Here is my MTC district all going to Italy


No comments:

Post a Comment